HUMMINGBIRD RIDGE WINERY
Central PA’s Award-Winning Winery
THANKSGIVING 2013 Hummingbird Ridge Winery NEWSLETTER (Please forward this newsletter to your friends and family who are interested in wine)
This Issue Features: October Recap; How to Pair Wines with Thanksgiving Dinner; Thanksgiving Wine Combo Specials; Our Upcoming 4th Anniversary Party with Credence Clearwater Revival Tribute; Recipe of the Month; Interesting Wine News of the Month; and More......
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you! Thank You for supporting Hummingbird Ridge Winery over the last 4 years. We wish you a Great Thanksgiving and a Joyous Holiday Season!!! We hope to see you at our 4th Anniversary Party on December 7th, FREE Admission.
We had a busy October at Hummingbird Ridge Winery, with our Music Tributes to Johnny Cash & Tom Petty. Our CREDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL tribute at our upcoming 4th Anniversary Party is up next in December, see below for details.
- How to Pair Wines with Thanksgiving Dinner: It's often hard to pair Holiday meals such as Thanksgiving with wine, not just because of the variety of foods presented, but also because of the variety of people at the table. Trying to please a variety of people can be hard, but there are possible solutions. The best idea is to present several wines at the table in different styles that guests can choose from. A nice sparkling wine is always nice, as well as a fruit-forward dry red, and perhaps a semi-dry white and of course, a sweet wine for those that are not big wine drinkers.
Pairing wines with the specific dishes on the table is also an alternative. Some things to remember when pairing food and wine:
1. First important tip is to notice the sauces accompanying your food. Most people try to match with the texture of the food. But are you serving your turkey with a light sauce, buttery sauce, a mushroom sauce, or a heavy gravy? Its all turkey underneath but the sauces are very different requiring different wine parings.
2. Light, creamy, or citrus sauces require light acidic white wines such as Hummingbird Ridge Semi-dry Riesling.
3. Light brown sauces go with lighter reds such as Hummingbird Red.
4. Dark or heavy sauces go with bold, full bodied reds such as Hummingbird Red Reserve.
5. Spicy sauces go with wines that are semi-dry such as Hummingbird White. These will balance the spicy tastes of food.
6. Desserts and other sweets – no brainer – go with dessert wines such as Hummingbird Ridge Apple Sangria or Pumpkin wine (Shades of Autumn).
Fortunately, Hummingbird Ridge Winery is your one-stop shop for Thanksgiving wines. From our Reserve Red & Semi-Dry Riesling on the drier side to our Apple Sangria & Pumpkin wine (Shades of Autumn) on the sweeter side, you can present your guests with the perfect wine for your Thanksgiving celebration. Stop in our tasting room for more advice on pairing wines with Thanksgiving dinner or any meal. And see our Special Thanksgiving Wine Combos below.
- Thanksgiving Wine Combo Specials at Hummingbird Ridge:
This Thanksgiving, we've taken the stress out of choosing wine for your Thanksgiving meal by picking the perfect combination of wines.
1. The "Please Everyone Combo": 4 specially selected wines. Something for everyone at the table in this combo. Reserve Red for the dry red drinkers; Riesling for the white wine drinkers; Apple Sangria for the sweet wine drinkers; and our Pumpkin wine (Shades of Autumn) for dessert. All 4 wines for just $51.00 plus tax.
2. The "Thanksgiving Fruit Wine Combo": The perfect 2 bottle combination of seasonal fruit wines for your Thanksgiving Celebration. Our delicious Apple Sangria and our delectable Pumpkin wine (Shades of Autumn) together for a special price. And either of these can be warmed in your small crockpot for a special pre-dinner treat for your guests. 2 wines for just $22.00 plus tax.
Saturday, December 7th: Our 4th Anniversary Party featuring a CREDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVIAL Tribute by "Dinosaur Victrola" from 5pm to 8pm for our 4th year Anniversary. This event will be an Inside event at our Mall store at the Newberry Commons Mall (right beside the State Liquor Store), just off the Yocumtown exit of I-83, midway between Harrisburg and York. FREE Admission for this event. Free Parking. Free Tastings.
Interesting Wine News of the Month:
Believe it or not, they have developed a Paper Wine Bottle; hope it doesn't leak http://blogs.wsj.com/wine/2011/11/14/coming-soon-the-paper-wine-bottle/
Duck Dynasty has their own wine out http://www.examiner.com/article/duck-dynasty-wine-will-bible-belt-fans-approve
70% of wine in China is counterfeit http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a201310313.html
- Recipe(s) of the Month: Mashed Potatoes are a staple of the Thanksgiving meal, but they can be a little boring at times. From foodandwine.com, here are some ways to "kick up" your mashed potatoes:
- Our 2nd Tasting Room & Wine Store at the Newberry Commons Mall in Etters just off the Yocumtown exit 33 of I-83 is OPEN. The new store is right next to the Wine & Spirits Shoppe (State Liquor Store), and features Free Standard Tastings. Hours are Tuesday thru Saturday from 1pm to 8pm. Stop in for Free tastings.
Also at the new Mall location, we have opened a Wine Café, with tables where you can sit, relax, and enjoy wine by the glass, with Wine by the Glass Specials every week. Food is also available from our neighboring restaurants New China and USA & I. You can order takeout and enjoy your meal with wine in our Wine Café.
Please stop by the fine eateries listed below and try some Hummingbird Ridge Wine!
AL's Pizza & Pub in Enola
Hogan's Restaurant at Valley Green Golf Course, Etters
Goldsboro Firemens Club, Goldsboro
Royal Manchester Golf Course, Manchester
Silver Lake Inn, Lewisberry
Back Woods Grill, Etters
Culhane’s Steak House, New Cumberland
Etters VFW, Etters
Please visit these fine establishments and enjoy a glass of Hummingbird Ridge wine!!!
Our motto is “Experience The Flavor” and our goal is for every Hummingbird Ridge wine to be balanced and flavorful. We are open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 11am to 6pm at our Winery Store at 735 Kise Mill Rd, York Haven and open Tues. to Sat. from 1pm to 8pm at our Newberry Commons Mall store, and our standard wine tastings are free of charge at both locations.
If you belong to a group, club or association and you would like a Private Wine Tasting for your group or your group is looking for a unique meeting place during the week or weekend, please call us at 717-315-0209 for availability. We hope to see you soon at the winery!!!
Hummingbird Ridge Winery is “the Small Winery with Big Flavor”. Owner Tom Day began his wine odyssey as a teenager, watching his Italian grandfather make wine. When Tom started winning amateur awards for his own wines, he decided to open his own winery. With over 20 years of experience, he opened this microwinery dedicated to making wine in small batches, so that every aspect of the winemaking process could be meticulously taken care of, to craft wines with superior flavor and balance. Tom named the winery after one particular hummingbird that followed him as he first walked the property and that hummingbird’s likeness graces every bottle of Hummingbird Ridge wine. We hope you enjoy your experience at Hummingbird Ridge and please call on any of our staff to assist you. “Experience the Exceptional Flavor and Balance” of Hummingbird Ridge wines!
- Purchase Hummingbird Ridge official logo merchandise at our online store at http://www.cafepress.com/teeshirts4fun/6968274
- Thanks Again to all of you who have stopped in to see us and try our wine!!! Tell your friends about us!!!
- Visit us on the internet at http://www.hummingbirdridgewinery.com/ (official website),http://www.hummingbirdridgewinery.blogspot.com/
(our blog), and visit our Facebook page and become a fan of Hummingbird Ridge Winery at
- Hummingbird Ridge Winery is a proud member of the Mason Dixon Wine Trail!!! Visit http://www.masondixonwinetrail.com/ for more information. And a proud member of the Hershey Harrisburg Wine Country trail!!! Visit www.hersheyharrisburgwinecountry.com for more information.
HUMMINGBIRD RIDGE WINERY
"EXPERIENCE THE FLAVOR!!!
Now with 2 Locations:
*** Winery Location at 735 Kise Mill Rd, York Haven (just off Newberrytown Exit 32 of I-83, 1/4 mile from Susquehanna Speedway, Open Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, 11am to 6pm.
*** Newberry Commons Mall Location (just off Yocumtown Exit 33 of I-83, next tothe State Liquor store) in Newberry Commons Mall, Etters PA. Open Tuesday thru Saturday, 1pm to 8pm.